As a parent, one of your greatest responsibilities is to introduce your children to Jesus. But the weight of this responsibility can sometimes feel overwhelming. It’s difficult to know where to begin.
Here are a few ideas to help:
Remember that you're not alone in your efforts. Use the Bible as a guide, seek out shared experiences with other godly parents and know that the church’s Children's Ministry team is there to partner with you.
- Tell stories. Jesus did. You could use a children’s Bible or tell a Bible story in your own words.
- Pray with them. Make it real! You might begin this with praying for your children before bed; however, as they get older, you might want to ask them to pray themselves.
- Get feedback. Find out what they think about God.
- Sometimes, teachable moments arise and you’re able to give some insight into your child’s journey. Other times, it requires intentionally creating opportunities. You might begin by studying a particular passage of Scripture yourself and then thinking of creative ways to bring this to your child’s attention and relate it to his or her life.
- Explore ways to help your children develop a servant's heart. You could talk about ways to serve others at home and out in the world (for example, helping with chores, donating to a food bank or shoveling a neighbor’s driveway).
- Set a consistent, daily time for devotionals. This can be a great way to help your children think through a Bible story and how it impacts their day-to-day life.
- While on vacation or over the weekend, ask your children to work with you on leading the family devotion. It’s a great way to discover what they are learning and to see them use their creativity!
- Remember that your children see you at your best and your worst! Sharing Jesus is not just about words. How you live will also teach them what you believe and who you trust. Let your children see you studying God's word and hear you praying. But also let them watch how you handle mistakes and deal with challenging people and situations.
- Set guidelines with your children regarding TV, social media, and other technology. Let them see that your standards and the world’s standards are different. Use this as an opportunity to talk more about what it means to follow Jesus.
Have a question or comment on today's reading? Use the comments box below.
Please include the Day as a reference at the beginning of your remarks. Thank you.
Copyright © 2014 by Walnut Hill Community Church
All rights reserved. This book or any portion thereof may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the express written permission of the publisher except for the use of brief quotations in a book review or scholarly journal.
Scripture quotations are taken from the Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright ©1996, 2004, 2007, 2013 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
Share us with your friends